How To Get Chewing Gum Off Couch?
Finding chewing gum on your couch can be incredibly frustrating – not only because it’s a sticky mess but also because of how difficult it can be to get rid of. Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to remove chewing gum from your beloved couch.
We always recommend you contact the experts at Brisbane Upholstery Cleaning for sticky situations such as chewing gum removal. There’s a chance that cleaning upholstery yourself may result in more damage so many people prefer just to get it professionally done.
If you do want to have a crack at it yourself, here are some chewing gum removal tips to try yourself at your own risk.
How To Get Chewing Gum Off A Couch With Ice?
Ice is one of the most common (and easiest!) ways to get chewing gum off your couch. Here’s what you need to do:
- Put some ice cubes in a paper bag or wrap one in a paper towel.
- Place the ice on top of the chewing gum for about 10 until the gum freezes.
- Gently remove the gum with a dull knife, being careful not to puncture or harm the fabric.
- Once you’re finished, use warm water and dish soap to scrub off any residue from the gummy area.
How To Get Chewing Gum Off A Couch With Compressed Air?
Compressed air works the same way as ice does by freezing chewing gum.
- Take a can of compressed air and spray it onto the gum until it is frozen.
- Once the gum is frozen, gently chip away with a dull knife or scraper.
- Vacuum the remaining gum bits.
- For a thorough clean of the gum-coated couch, take a cloth soaked in mild soapy water and apply it directly to the affected area. This will help sanitize the surface and remove any residual gum residue.
- Finally, turn on the fan to help the area dry off completely.
How To Get Chewing Gum Off Couch With Heat?
Heat may not be the best option when removing gum from your couch, as it can create an even stickier situation. However, if you’re careful and follow the steps below, you can still try using heat to remove gum from your couch.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Set your iron on the lowest setting.
- Cover the chewing gum with a brown paper bag or strong paper towels.
- Hold your iron over the area for about 10 seconds or until the gum sticks to the paper.
- Gently remove the paper and gum with a dull knife.
- Use warm water and dish soap solution to scrub any residue from the area.
How To Get Chewing Gum Off A Couch With White Vinegar?
White distilled vinegar is another simple and reliable method for removing chewing gum from the couch, especially ones made with microfibre fabric. Here are the steps:
- Pour about an inch of white vinegar into a microwave-safe glass and heat it for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Soak a soft white cloth in vinegar and press it against the gum for roughly one minute.
- Then, remove the chewing gum with a dull knife and use warm water and dish soap to clean any residue.
- To remove the vinegar smell, simply take a damp cloth with liquid dish soap and gently dab the treated area.
- Dab again with a clean, damp cloth, and allow to air dry.
How To Get Chewing Gum Off A Couch With Tar?
- Safety first; put on your gloves.
- Generously saturate a microfibre cloth with adhesive remover and solvent-based tar.
- Before applying the solution to an entire area, test a small patch of your couch to ensure it won’t cause permanent discoloration.
- Once you get a green light, place the cloth onto the gummy area and move in a circular motion while applying gentle pressure.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for the tar to dissolve, and then use a damp cloth to scrub off any residue.
- Finally, take a dry cloth and wipe down the area until it is completely clean and free of gum.
These are just a few methods for you to learn how to remove chewing gum from a couch. If these don’t work, you can always try contacting a professional upholstery cleaning company in Brisbane.