How To Clean Outdoor Cushions
Your patio might be the most inviting area for you, your family, and friends. To ensure it stays this way, you should clean your outdoor cushions regularly to prevent dirt, dust, and mould from accumulating on your outdoor furniture.
In this guide, we have compiled a few tips to help you easily clean your outdoor cushions.
We always recommend that you contact the professionals at Brisbane Upholstery Cleaning to do the job for you, because there are always risks when cleaning upholstery yourself. If you still want to have a go at it, here are some tips and tricks to follow at your own risk.
How To Clean Outdoor Cushions: The Standard Method
Before you start, check the care instructions provided on the cushion label to ensure you use the right cleaning method.
- Use a vacuum cleaner or brush to remove dirt and debris from the cushions.
- Prepare a mild detergent solution by mixing one part of mild liquid soap with four parts of lukewarm water.
- Dip a soft sponge or soft bristle brush into the solution and use it to gently scrub your outdoor cushions.
- Rinse off with clean water and blot dry using a clean cloth.
- If necessary, you can use a mild bleach solution or vinegar to remove stubborn dirt stains before rinsing off again. However, this is only recommended for colourfast and white fabrics.
- For best results, you should apply a fabric protector after the cushions are dry to protect them from dirt and dust accumulation.
- Finally, hang your outdoor cushions in an area with good air circulation or even outdoors under direct sunlight, if possible, so they can dry completely.
How To Deep Clean Outdoor Cushions?
If your cushions need deep cleaning, you can use a power washer instead of the standard method.
- Make sure to use the right settings and keep the pressure at an optimal level so that you don’t damage the fabric or cause discolouration. Also, don’t spray too close to the cushion material.
- Start by spreading your cushions on the pavement of your driveway or sidewalk.
- Pour a cleaning solution into the pressure washer’s reservoir, or attach the cleaning solution tube from the pressure washer to the bottle of cleaning solution. Make sure the spray hose is connected securely.
- Then, connect a garden hose to your pressure washer and turn on the water all the way. Test the water flow to make sure everything is working properly.
- Attach the cleaning/soap spray tip to your pressure washer hose. Then, carefully spray each outdoor cushion with it. Don’t forget to get both sides of the cushions!
- Furthermore, you can brush the cushions with a soft brush or scrubbing sponge for stubborn stains. Make sure you unplug the power washer before doing so.
- Next, rinse the cushions with clean water. Don’t forget to change the spray tip to a fan one!
- Finally, place the cushions on a drying rack or hang them up in direct sunlight to dry quickly and naturally. Make sure to turn the cushions over regularly, so they don’t retain moisture.
How To Remove Stains From Outdoor Cushions
It is highly recommended that you pre-treat any stains on your outdoor cushions before cleaning.
- For oil-based stains, first, cover the affected area with a layer of absorbent material like baking soda. Wait 15 minutes for the oil to be thoroughly absorbed, then brush off the remaining powder. Repeat as needed until the stain is gone.
- An enzyme-based cleaner or liquid detergent should do the trick for grass stains! Simply spray the stain and let it sit for about five minutes before scrubbing with a soft brush.
- For mildew or mould, vinegar is usually the best solution. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and then spray it directly onto the affected area. Let it sit for 30 minutes, then scrub with a brush or sponge until the stain is completely gone. Rinse off with clean water afterward.